Psychologist (518) 372-0166

Q&A- Possible PTSD?

Susan S. Woods, Ph.D.question and answer with Dr. Susan S. Woods


Q: Recently I experienced a traumatic incident that left me quite shaken. As a result I am jumpy, quick to anger and emotional at the drop of a hat. Could this be PTSD? What are some signs and how can I work through this?

A: This would depend on the trauma. A serious life threatening trauma or being a witness to or victim of a terrible event could leave you with PTSD. But unhappy, scary events can leave us with some similar symptoms. Usually, in this case the symptoms are transitory. Sleeplessness, jumpiness and other reactions should be temporary but if not, it might be useful to speak with a psychologist who specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy. In this type of therapy you learn to think through the traumatizing event and dissect your own thoughts so you can change your interpretation of their impact on you.

Susan S. Woods, Ph.D.

700 McClellan St ♦ Schenectady, NY 12304 ♦ (518) 372-0166

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *